Saturday 19 March 2011

Chartres

Here are some of the photos I took in Chartres. It's a pretty little medieval town, about 80km south of Paris, just on the edge of the Loire Valley. Tiffany and I took a spontaneous day trip there on the last day of the February holidays, which turned out to be an excellent idea.

It was so quiet when we first got there. It felt like the place had been deserted. As soon as I said this to Tiffany, I realised how silly that was; it's Paris that is the exception for constantly buzzing with a million people for about 22 hours per day. Chartres was just a small town on a Friday morning.

We went to see the cathedral, which is famous (at least, I'd heard of it before I got there) for its stained glass windows, which I'm told are the best preserved medieval stained glass in the world. They certainly were beautiful, as was the cathedral itself. I felt I was in a tall cave with ornamental stalagmites, with beaten sheets of jewels for windows.




We saw pretty streets like this.




Dog out of a window.

This all happened weeks ago but I didn't want to waste the photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment